6 Natural Alternatives to Regular Lotion
Not a fan of lotion? We've got suggestions that are still safe and non-toxic but work just as well
Lotion alternatives happen to be great for a variety of different reasons. Sometimes these products cost less and possess a longer shelf life than regular lotion. A lot of times, you can find them easily in grocery stores (so no more extra runs to the drug store). Also, did we mention that these products don't contain any petroleum products and toxic chemicals that you might have to spend days looking up on the internet? These alternatives are just one ingredient and many of them we use for cooking, so you can be sure they are extra safe for you and the kids.
- Coconut oil
- Great for all skin types - oily, dry or combination with no side effects. Because of its antioxidant properties, it's also great in preventing premature aging and delays the appearance of wrinkles or sagging skin. Coconut oil can help treat psoriasis, dermatitis and eczema (1).
- Almond oil
- A great option for dry skin as almond oil penetrates multiple layers of skin while other natural oils don't (4). Almond oil contains many antioxidants and helps heal scar tissue and improve complexion and skin tone (3).
- Olive Oil
- Olive oil contains vitamin E which promotes collagen production, a protein vital to healthy skin (4). However, some studies have shown that olive oil can irritate individuals with sensitive skin, so if that pertains to you, make sure to just try it out in a little area of your skin before lathering it all over (5)!
- Shea butter
- Shea butter contains vitamin A, E, F, and K (4). It promotes cell regeneration, which helps heal wounds and keeps your skin looking healthy (4).
- Cocoa butter
- Cocoa butter has been shown to improve skin elasticity and skin tone as it promotes collagen growth (6). The antioxidants found in cocoa butter also protect the skin from the inside by neutralizing oxidative stress, a major factor of premature skin aging (6).
- Aloe vera
- Aloe vera is great for both dry and oily skin (2). It contains 75 different compounds that actively promote healthy skin, prevent scarring and decrease skin inflammation. Aloe vera has also been shown to help fight acne, yay (7)!
- Homemade Lotion: A Natural Hand and Body Moisturizer Recipe ›
- Homemade Lotion Recipe | Wellness Mama ›
- 10 Natural Moisturizers for the Thirstiest of Skin ›