Our Checklist for Cleaning Everything in Your Home
Want to clean your home in a "green" and non-toxic way, but don't know where to start?
We've thought of everything, so you don't have to! And even if you've got a cleaning routine down, sometimes you just need a checklist so that you can feel good about checking off some boxes! So, throw on your favorite playlist and use this list for a safe, healthy, and clean home.
Don't forget to pick up our recommended all purpose cleaners, kitchen, bathroom, and floor cleaners, or use our favorite DIY recipes. We also have an in-depth kitchen cleaning guide and an in-depth bathroom cleaning guide if you want to deep deeper. Also, if you are lucky enough to have someone who cleans your home for you- be that your roommate, your SO, or a professional- pass along this checklist to make sure all your bases are covered. We even have a version in Spanish if it's helpful for you.
- Dust with a wet cloth, this lowers allergens and removes toxic dust. Wipe window sills and blinds with a wet cloth. We love microfiber cloths for dusting!
- Vacuum floors and couch cushions with a HEPA filter if possible, make sure the bag or container isn't completely full in order to not lose suction.
- Mop floors
- Wipe down countertops, cabinets, and face of appliances (refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher) with an all-purpose cleaner
- Scrub and wipe down stove top. Soak and wash stove top grills and drip pans in sink with dishwashing liquid and hot water
- Clean inside of microwave. Microwave a bowl of half water and half vinegar on high for three minutes. Easily wipe clean. You can also do this with a lemon instead of vinegar. Just cut a lemon in half, squeeze it into the water, drop in the lemon half, and microwave for 3 minutes and wipe clean.
- Scrub and clean inside and around sink. If sink drain is clogged or smells bad, use a safe cleaner to clean the drain. Check our in-depth kitchen cleaning guide for more details.
- Sweep and mop floor
- Remove rugs, trash cans, and objects from the tub/shower
- Wet tub/shower walls with warm water and scrub with tile and grout cleaner, allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Make sure to stand on a non-slip surface
- Pour toilet bowl cleaner in toilet and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Scrub with a brush and flush
- Spray/clean shelves and other furniture with an all-purpose cleaner
- Wash and rinse tub/shower walls and then apply tile and grout cleaner to tub/shower floor and scrub
- Use a brush and bathroom cleaner to scrub around the faucet and drain in sink. Use a safe cleaner to get rid of mold, if necessary. Check our in-depth bathroom cleaning guide for more details.
- Wipe the vanity countertop and cabinet fronts with an all purpose cleaner
- Clean mirror: use a damp microfiber cloth
- Shine the faucets. For stubborn water spots, use vinegar and water
- Wash the floor with a safe floor cleaner
Deep Cleaning Extras
- Clean inside of oven with a safe cleaner
- Clean inside of refrigerator and replace all items
- Use a safe window and glass cleaner and wipe with a microfiber cloth
- Clean large and hard-to-reach windows with a professional-quality squeegee